I’m so excited to introduce you to another of my favorite authors – and people – today! Folks, if you’re not reading Megan Erickson and following her online, you just have NO idea what you’re missing. I’ve had the opportunity to hang out with this lady a few times now and I just adore her.
Megan writes new adult and adult romance, so there’s something for everyone here! She’s writing like a mad woman releasing one book after another this year (hooray!) so you’ll have lots of titles to choose from when you decide to pick up one of her books. In fact, her most recent book, a new adult M/M titled Focus On Me, just released yesterday. You wanna talk about feels? Grab this book and you’re guaranteed to feel them. Make sure you don’t miss out on her Bowler University series or the Mechanics of Love spinoff. If you’re looking for something a little steamier, pick up her first Brazen title, Changing His Game. Nerd is the new black and OMG this book. LOVED!
Now, enjoy a little bit of humor from Megan and her sex scene writing process. I love this post!
Top Ten Things I Think About While Writing A Sex Scene
by Megan Erickson
So, writing sex scenes. I think this is a question I get asked the most. How do you do it? Do you drink? Can you do it in public? (heh).
So, here’s the deal. No, I don’t drink when I write. I know some authors do, and that’s great, but I actually can’t concentrate when I drink and get distracted by shiny things and cookies. So, I usually go up to my writing space (which happens to be the bed) with a bottle of water and turn off my Internet. There’s nothing worse than being distracted while someone’s getting naked and has their hands on body parts.
And then I… write. Sounds simple, right? I guess, it is. I write what is hot to me, and sometimes I get a little carried away, but hey, it’s all in good fun in Romancelandia.
But it’s not easy. The hardest part is making sure you don’t repeat yourself, that your sex scenes in one book are varied, and that you keep track of all body parts. Nothing is worse than reading a sex scene and getting confused because a position isn’t anatomically possible or the heroine suddenly sprouts an extra hand. OR the hero takes his shirt off… twice. Yes, I’ve done that.
So anyway, here are the Top Ten Things I Think About When Writing a Sex Scene:
1. Okay, let’s do this.
2. Kissing. Okay, this is nice. There is tongue and stuff. Ooooh, didn’t know he was going to put his hand there. All right, I’ll go with it, buddy.
3. Who’s going to take their clothes off first? And TAKE OFF YOUR SOCKS. Socks aren’t sexy!
4. Oh, that’s… uh… I don’t think that works, hero. Your one hand is busy elsewhere and she’s got two nipples. I’ll fix that, hold on.
5. There, that’s better, focus on the good stuff, hero.
6. Heroine, you need to get in there too, grab something.
7. Oh, I need some more inspiration. *searches Tom Hardy Gifs on Tumblr*
8. Yeah, GET IT GURL. Don’t forget the condom!
9. Oh wow, he’s really going for it. You go, dude. Get messy. We’ll clean up later with the magic of fiction.
10. Now let’s cuddle and cheer that both of you (and me) got through that.
Thanks Megan. This was hilarious!
For those of you participating in the challenge, don’t forget to keep entering your links in the Rafflecopter. I can’t tell you all the prizes we’ll be giving away this summer because we’re still pulling awesome things together, but believe me when I say you want to win them. I wish I could win them! 🙂 And if you’re not participating yet, it’s not too late to sign up! Hit up the announcement post and learn more! Keep current with all the details by joining our Facebook event.
Until next week… happy reading!